Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Home Depot should hire the actors in their TV commercials to work in the store.

A friend of mine recently went into Home Depot, and upon becoming increasingly frustrated with the lack of competent service, screamed out, "For crying out loud, your tagline is "You can do it. We can help!!"

Amen.

I wonder if they rotate groups of Home Depot employees who are told that items are located on different aisles, just to mess with you...or make you spend more time in the store in search of a toilet tank handle, hoping you'll buy duct tape and an extension cord.

I think they ought to replace names on the name tags with phrases like "I dunno" or "over there" or "we carry every single part except the part you're looking for"

I think instead of employee training, they should just make new hires (and current ones) watch their commercials over and over until it begins to sink in. "Oh, I'm supposed to actually be like that?"

They do have self-service checkout. Nice idea, but there's always a glitch, and some physical person has to come and fix it. And scan your items for you. And help you pay. So, it's like regular service, except you bag the items yourself.

I'd also like to know who's the cross-eyed guy in charge of stocking the shelves. Trying to find Items and corresponding price tags is like playing Concentration.

But I like the music.

3 Comments:

At 6:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amen brother. I have actually asked Home Depot employees on at least 3 different occasions: "Why does it say 'I help in all departments' on your apron?" That's usually only after I get really frustrated. I once had 5 employees in a row, all wearing said aprons, respond to my questions with, "I don't know. That's not my department."

Maybe it's different outside of New York (or wherever they film those commercials)? I decided a long time ago that "customer service" and "New York" are never found within 500 words of each other on any search engine or anywhere at all in the Bronx...

Matt

PS
When are we going riding?

 
At 1:07 PM, Blogger Ben said...

Hey Jeff, you're getting as much or more mileage out of your "announcement" on my post as I am out of mine. Should be a talkative book club tonight...

 
At 11:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Im still waiting for a post here.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home