Thursday, September 08, 2005

Terrorists are such buzzkills

A few weeks ago, I went on a bike ride with my brother-in-law, who had just purchased a shiny, new road bike. Shiny red, in fact. We started out at 104th and Broadway, then made our way north to 178th, then headed across the George Washington Bridge. Talk about a great view—Manhattan on one side, Palisade cliffs on the other. I thought, "Hey, this would be a great picture."

Then I saw a sign forbidding cameras on the bridge. Oh, come on!!

Patriot act, Schmatriot act, you can look at my library records all day long (I haven't checked anything out in years, but still...) or tap my phone or put a magnetic reader under the skin of my forearm, but let me take a silly picture!

Gracias, Mr. Terrorist, you ruined my Kodak moment.

2 Comments:

At 9:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is the brother-n-law with the new shiny blood-red bike (chick magnet - and, yes, I've somehow managed to stay single despite the new bicycle).
So I was at the very same bridge the week before and came upon that little cute red light house tucked underneath the belly of the giant architectural beast. I whipped out my camera and was immediately approached to erase my cell phone shot of the cute little red light house that I hadn't taken yet (couln't figure out the F-stop control on my verizon phone)... you know the light house written about in a book that you read to child at bedtime.

I highly reccomend a visit to the lighthouse if you're in the area.

 
At 11:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is the friend who really wants to go on a ride some day with Jeff...

Jeff, I promise if you go too fast, I won't make you wait for me! Seriously though, I've got a shiny red (and yellow) bike that's itching to go on a ride with yours. Just rode through your neck of the woods this morning, in fact. Don't be dissing dis just cuz I live in da Bronx...

As for anti-terrorist measures, can you think of a SINGLE one that actually decreases the chance of a terrorist attack? All I see are ways to harrass the general public to appease a vocal (paranoid) minority. Reminds me of the good old colony days under King George. (Remember that little thing Tom Jefferson wrote about "he has erected a multitude of new offices and sent hither swarms of officers to harrass our people and eat out their substance." Eerily familiar...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home